|
|

Raw, but c*nsored blabbing and blogging of a young journalista
and local news producer in Southern New England.
email topstorylive % at # gmail + dot = com
Today on TopStoryLive:
Thursday, September 29, 2005
Getting the hang of THIS Thursday
It's getting way too late for me to even think about going to IKEA in Stoughton. It's almost 4:00. I've no idea how far away Stoughton is but I'm sure I couldn't be back before 7:00. I'd better eat something before then too. I haven't had anything to eat, really, since yesterday's dinner.
Ah, the website says IKEA Stoughton is not open until November 9th. Jeesh.
But! There is an IKEA in New Haven. Hmm. That's still one hell of a drive.
It's starting to get cold thanks to the blasting wind. I guess I'd better close the window. And it's starting to rain again. I love it. I am so happy the hot summer is over. I feel like I need rain to wash away the encrusted dirt of the past four-five months.
I'm going to have to shave today too.
I get to / have to produce a show tomorrow because one of the other producers had a death in the family. Tch.
Big doin's in the apartment this "week-end." I got the Bubba Keg. I ended up ordering a 34-ounce one off eBay. Washed it today finally. It's not the big 56-ounce Keg, and while it's designed to fit in a cupholder it will still have to ride shotgun in my passenger seat. But what fun it is already.
More Internet purchases are already coming in. I took some survey emailed out to news producers a month or so ago and in return I just received a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.com. I looked at my Wish List, and decided to get some of the more eccentric things off it, like the Simply Red CD that had that funky song on it which sounded like two other songs, including a Steely Dan song. So I got like 4 CDs, all used, from various places, and paid only $4.44 total. Not too bad.
Got a pair of new wallets when I was at Staples the other night, looking for the old-style Jabra EarBoom. The Jabras had apparently been purchased or clearanced, and only the new goofy looking ones were there. Hmph. Anyway, I got a good replacement for my single-fold business card carrier/wallet. This is by Wenger, the Swiss Army Knife people, and includes a little "jotter" notepad and place for a pen. The downside of course is that this creates a much thicker wallet. We'll see how long I keep this one. The best part, was that this wallet was on clearance... down from like $12-24 or something like that to $1.50. SOLD!
The other wallet is much thinner and even more of an impulse buy. It has little more than a picture ID pocket, a few pockets for credit cards with an elastic band over them keeping them in place, and a pouch in the middle. It isn't quite going to work for dollar bills -- you have to fold them in four -- but we'll see how long I keep *that.* Even though I probably won't try and take it back at this point.
Still need to get a new can of shaving cream. Hopefully I'll find something that isn't an aerosol.
Also last night at Target there was the worst screaming child EVER. This kid was in the center of the store, in Toddler's Clothing, with his mother and sister, and I was at the back, in the Men's department, and I swear his voice was carrying to the entire big-box building. I was at least 50 feet from him and there were big walls between the departments and between us. He went on for several minutes.
When some of his repertoire included "Put me down" I just about walked straight over and in my best loud-and-clear-reach-the-little-old-lady-in-row-Z voice said,
SO IS THIS YOUR CHILD OR ARE YOU KIDNAPPING HIM?"
and then to the child I might have said, gripping his arm firmly, "Listen, you. You are to be quiet and polite at once or someone you don't know will come make your life very unhappy. When you are out in public you are to behave. Once you get home to your room you can scream all you want."
But I lost my nerve. I just promptly wrapped up my shopping and left. As luck would have it the child and his mother and sister were checking out about the same time as me but I did not directly walk out with them.
Later I realized, well, unless the woman in charge of him would follow through on my threat, or punish him, rather than just letting him scream (supposedly learning that he can scream all he wants but he's not going to get his way or attention) that my threatening him would do no good whatsoever.
To say nothing of the concept that the mother and/or Target could perhaps try to call authorities on me for being a stranger threatening an innocent child.
And for those who are wondering, no, I've never had children of my own.Labels: Originally published
... Scribbled by Bill T ... 9/29/2005 04:59:00 PM ... Email this entry ...
...
..........
Log Archive
January 2003 /
February 2003 /
May 2003 /
February 2004 /
March 2004 /
April 2004 /
May 2004 /
June 2004 /
July 2004 /
August 2004 /
September 2004 /
October 2004 /
November 2004 /
December 2004 /
January 2005 /
February 2005 /
March 2005 /
April 2005 /
May 2005 /
June 2005 /
July 2005 /
August 2005 /
September 2005 /
October 2005 /
November 2005 /
December 2005 /
January 2006 /
February 2006 /
March 2006 /
April 2006 /
May 2006 /
|
|