How morning shows are different from news shows
AP wires from My Way News: "Network morning show anchors, most notably Katie Couric and Matt Lauer on NBC, have greater prominence now than ever, due largely to changing lifestyles that make them the national news source of choice for many more Americans."
I guess it's kind of sad that people are getting their news from morning shows rather than straight news shows. I mean, are they?
Patrick, whom some of my regular readers are starting to get to know in these pages, gave me a rant the other day about some boneheaded question(s) that Matt Lauer gave some interview subject and I tried to explain that morning shows (these days) are more directed towards getting a specific reaction or answer out of interview subjects. He couldn't believe a "news show" was doing some of the things he was seeing... And as always, I can understand the viewer's indignance. However, I am starting to believe there is a difference between certain things.
A newscast or "news show", to me, is a straight report of "what is happening in the world today."
But a show, or programming block, that is based primarily around live or live-to-tape interviews is something different; even though it may be a news MAKER, it's still talk show. And one seems to think that one has to produce a reason to watch to get all sorts of viewers in the tent.
So much of MSNBC, CNN, FOX NEWS CHANNEL, HEADLINE NEWS and some of the morning shows are based around live interviews, primarily because you seem to need to have something different to watch other than news stories. Just putting together shows full of VOs and packages isn't enough, apparently, for news viewers. Hmph. Why? I don't like that.
Then again, what if we just put on the raw interviews before they're edited down into the packages or other condensed materials? Would that be worth anything? Would that have any "news value"? Would it still be "news"?
Labels: Originally published
... Scribbled by Bill T ... 4/04/2005 01:32:00 PM ...
Email this entry ...
...
..........